Sixth Festival of the Contemporary Arts
installation at the UBC Fine Arts Gallery, 1967
Zbigniew Blazeje – An Audio – Kinetic Environment / Constructions by Montreal Artists / Gouaches By Michael Morris / Paintings by David Samila
Satellite Gallery, 560 Seymour Street, Vancouver
Belkin Satellite, 555 Hamilton Street, Vancouver
The UBC Fine Arts Gallery was founded in 1948 and located in the basement of Main Library on the University campus. For much of its early history, the Fine Arts Gallery was the only venue in the Vancouver region to focus exclusively on contemporary art. In the 1960s and 1970s, the Gallery achieved a national profile with exhibitions that explored what is now known as cultural studies, and by presenting innovative work by artists who would establish Vancouver as an international centre. The Gallery was used exclusively as exhibition space until 1994, when it began to house and administrate the University Art Collection.
On June 14, 1995, the Fine Arts Gallery was rededicated the Morris and Helen Belkin Art Gallery and opened its new premises at 1825 Main Mall. The building, designed by Peter Cardew Architects, was made possible by the generous support of Dr. Helen E. Belkin and the Government of British Columbia through the World of Opportunity Campaign and the University of British Columbia.
In 2010, the Michael O’Brian Family Foundation launched Satellite Gallery located at 560 Seymour Street, on the second floor above Club 560, a nightclub in the centre of downtown Vancouver. Shared between four institutions – the Belkin Art Gallery, the UBC Museum of Anthropology, the Charles H. Scott Gallery at Emily Carr University of Art and Design, and Presentation House Gallery – this collaborative space is devoted to exploring the boundaries of artistic and institutional practices.
Between 2001 to 2008 the Belkin Gallery ran the Belkin Satellite, an auxiliary space in downtown Vancouver which presented a mix of exhibitions by local artists, new projects by mid-career artists, experimental projects by UBC curatorial studies students, and served as an additional venue for the Belkin permanent collection. The Belkin Satellite, located at 555 Hamilton Street, originated as the Bau-Xi Gallery in 1965, and is Vancouver’s most enduring single gallery space. In August 2008, the Or Gallery took over the site.
For further information please contact: Jana Tyner at firstname.lastname@example.org,
tel: (604) 822-1389, or fax: (604) 822-6689